Re: Battle Poetry

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

> Alfredo wrote:
> >
> > But what I was suggesting was a more modest beginning: a collection
> > of stirring passages and phrases from the Period that people could
> > become familiar with, so that "talking forsoothly" would be both more
> > natural and rooted more to reality than to movie dialog.

prompting Corun to say:

> Then I take it that you are in favour of my proposal to present a track
> of classes along this line, and that to further that end you are willing,
> with your copious knowledge of such stirring passages and your ready wit,
> to help design and even teach a few of these? <gotcha!>

Alfredo, squirming, replied:

Your Excellency, I am indeed in favor of your proposed track of classes.
However, I must protest that I am ill-equipped to teach or design a class
on the subject at hand.  I am a non-fighter who was merely guessing that
the metaphors fighters use betoken a deep transcendent feeling.  (In fact,
one fighter has since indicated privily to me that they do not.)  My idea
(that the passage I quoted, or any literature from the Period, expressed
that hypothetical feeling better than the words our fighters have already
chosen) was a guess upon a guess, one which I fear was mistaken.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com