Pennsic Story (was: blow calling)

Poster: jsussman@cpcug.org (Jeffrey Sussman)

Greetings from Richard!

I had forgotten this incident as well.  Truely as far as I have ever been
into the SCA twilight zone.

Never have so many high ranking (kings and dukes to open) war leaders been
so pig headed.  Fortunately the kings were more reasonable than the dukes.
I think some of the war leaders would have been willing to keep the armies
on the field, out of contact, for the rest of day, at least.

I remember crossing the field (yes I crossed the river between the bridges
without getting my feet wet, such is the power of the Atlantian King) and
having all the Midrealmers stop talking and stare at me.  It was a scene
from a bad movie.  I walked up to the hill to where the Midrealm leaders
were and told them we should end the silliness.  "Silliness" was the wrong
word to use.  After considerable bluster, I convinced them to end the
battle.  I had to cross the river several times, playing envoy, relaying
"well, we'll do it if they do it" kind of messages between the kings.

I couldn't believe that they would rather withdraw from the field than just
fight it out for grins.  Of course the Trimarans and the Atlantians fought
for a long while before we retired from the field.

If the second part of this story (the cool fighting) hadn't been so much
fun, the first part (dealing with the war leaders) would have left me very
cynical about being king.  On balance, I loved being King of the finest
Kingdom to spring forth on the SCA landscape.

Richard