Re: Cool Drink/Aspartame Substitutions

Poster: einar@cvn.net (carl christianson)

Posted by Elen Prydydd:

Mistress Teleri wrote:

>Good gentles,
>
>I wasn't quite paying attention when I was going through my mail, but if
>this is a real drink, please tell anyone you give it to that it has
>aspartame (also better known as "Nutra-sweet") in it. Some of us have
>*severe* reactions to aspartame (3 to 4 hours of paralysis for me plus the
>most severe headaches I have ever experienced), so people need to be
>informed if it is in something they are given.
>
>>> aspartame - Although I don't remember which, one of the major
>>>             sugar alternatives is aspartame rather than Nutra-sweet.
>>>             Is it 'Equal'?
>>>

>BTW, "Nutra-sweet" is a brand name of aspartame as is "Equal." Now that
>Searle no longer has exclusive liscence to produce aspartame, it is now
>often found in ingredient lists with its generic name.
>
>I'l get off of my soapbox now,
>
>Teleri Talgellawg
>nachtanz@patriot.net

What about sugars, molasses or honey instead of Nutrasweet?  I'm allergic to
aspartame, too, but this is too good an idea, as well as delightfully,
almost sinfully cheap, to see it go untried.  Hmmm...even Kool-Aid could
help make it palatable..and if you used grape and cherry together you could
call it Blood of Mine Enemies or something gross like that (hey, that's
better than my previous idea!).

Elen (heretic!)