Re: MR-Disc: What A Knight Requires

Poster: einar@cvn.net (carl christianson)

posted by:  Elen Prydydd

Alfredo wrote:

>The emperor then urged Breunis Saunce Pite' to ask what a
>man of arms needs, to which the king replied:
>
>"The first and principal thing a knight requires is to support the
>weight of his armor; the second is to practice arms constantly;
>the third is to withstand hunger; the fourth is to be able to sleep
>badly and live uncomfortably; the fifth is to fearlessly risk his
>life for justice and the common good, thus saving his soul as
>though he had been pious and chaste all his life; the sixth is not
>to fear the sight of blood; the seventh is to skillfully defend
>himself and slay his enemies; and the eighth is to be ashamed of
>craven flight."
>
>* Why isn't horsemanship on this list?

I think it was assumed.

>* Should anything be added for a KSCA?  Like a truck or van?

To #7, I would like to add, play nice and remember, THIS IS A GAME!!

>* Should anything be deleted for the Current Middle Ages?  For instance,
>  does the "saving his soul" part violate General Order Six from the BoD?

Nope and nope.  "Saving his soul" doesn't refer specifically to any
particular religion.  One could interpret that to mean being able to look
others in the eye after a tourney, fighter practice, dance event, etc., and
feel no sense of shame for his/her actions.

Elen-----------------------------------heresy spoken fluently here - gleefully!