Re: Photosquoze OED

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

> > Anybody know if they have it (OED) on CD for computer geeks now??
> >
> > Meli
> >

> I've got it on the Web here at work as part of the Virginia Virtual
> Library thingy.
>
> http://etext.virginia.edu/oed-search.html
>
> It's not as good as a real OED; but I don't need the magnifying glass to
> read it and I can get at it from anywhere.

I can get to that page, but when I try to do a search it
tells me access is forbidden to me.

I did a search of the Web thru Excite, and found a lot of pages that
said something like "Please Note: By the terms of MIT's license agreement
with Oxford University Press, access to these materials is limited to
Authorized Users of the MIT...".  I saw a page from Oxford University
itself that said there was a setup like that at the University of
Illinois, and they hoped to get it soon at Oxford[!]  The cobblers children...

There is a public OED Online at http://www.oed.com/oetc.html
It's still under construction, and it looks it'll be pay-per-view
when they're done.  But look at the Demonstration Pages!

-- Alfredo