Re: Re[2]: MR:REQ:Rapier legal garb

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Tadgh wrote:

> The latter comment is interesting since silk is considered the hardest
> natural fiber known to man. Out of curiosity, Robert, have you ever performed
> the punch test using a tight-knit silk scarf? I know of a historical
> reference (quite out of period) where a gentleman was killed by a gunshot
> wound. When the surgeon examined the man, he was able to extract the wound
> (to the heart, by the way) by pulling the gentleman's silk scarf back out.
> The bullet was completely surrounded by the silk and the cloth was fully
> intact.

The Mongols used to wear a silk shirt under their leather or padded felt
armour to allow the removal of arrows from a wound without making the
wound worse. By working the silk slowly, the arrow head could be drawn
out through the exact hole it made. It would also keep the wound clean
and prevent infection. Records of this practice date back at least to
the 13th century.

In service,
Corun