Re: MR:REQ:Rapier legal garb

Poster: vnend%nudity@Princeton.EDU (David W. James)

> If recollection serves me there are period references of silk being used in
> a similar fashion to help protect against arrow fire.  Basically, the silk
> prevented any barbs on the arrow from having their desired effect, making
> removal of the arrow less traumatic.  I'm afraid that I don't have a
> reference on this one, though, since the infomation came from a technical
> seminar on the applications and properties of spider silk.

> Demere

	Yep.  In 'The Devil's Horsemen', there is reference to the Mongols
wearing silk.  It wouldn't tear when hit by an arrow, but would snag in it
and be carried along into the wound.  By then gently tugging on it, the
arrows spiral path into the wound would be retraced, allowing the arrow
to be removed without additional damage (as it would be if it were
simply pulled out.)

Kwellend-Njal