RE: heraldic originality

Poster: "Thorpe, John" <thorpj@caepo1.columbiaSC.NCR.COM>

Greetings from Eldred!

Christopher Janoch asks:
%Please forgive a "newbie" question, but I have been lurking here for a
while
%and listening to your discussion on heraldic originality and I can't help
%but wonder:
%Considering the growing number of SCA members, it must be becoming harder
%and harder to design and acceptable and attractive standard.  Considering
%the limited number of tinctures, field types, and acceptable "peridic"
%characters; is it concievable that someday we'll run out of desirable
%combinations??  Also, is there a set-up proceedure for retiring "old"
armory
%after the users/members have left the org?

Well, no question is stupid, just certain answers....

Let's see, from just tinctures alone, there are 5 colors and 2 metals that
loosely can be combined in over 840 ways (7! 3!)  (factorials don't
really translate well in email....)  Then there are multiple furs.  Now
out of the virtually limitless potential charges, ordinaries and
their arrangements, I don't think we are in danger of running out of
heraldic space.

Now as to desirable combinations, that is a matter of personal taste
and fashion sense.  8^)  I've seen hideous armory from both period and
SCA, so I don't think that is a factor.  As far as releasing armory, yes
there is the equivalent of a "heraldic will" that people can sign to
release their armory.  I can't think of many people that I know who
have signed one, but that is a side issue.

Have I answered your questions?

In service,
Eldred AElfwald
Nottinghill Coill Pursuivant