Re: U.B.A.G

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.UMD.EDU>

Greetings to Cheapside from Earl Dafydd ap Gwystl, Laurel and (mundanely)
player of many, many, games!

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Scott Silvers/James of Westmorland wrote:
> Perhaps the reason you feel this is inappropriate is because the purpose
> of U.B.A.G. was not fully explained in the initial post.  I am familiar
> with the creator of the Guild and can explain it, at least, as it was
> intended in when it was initially being created.  (Forgive me if any of
> this information is incorrect, Tunis).  The purpose of U.B.A.G. is to add
> a bit of fun and excitement for those who wish to play, as well as
> providing an additional source of funds for other areas of the SCA.

[rules for assassination game deleted for brevity]

> 	I ask that everyone just step back for a second and calm down
> before going off to mail the postmaster.  If it was inappropriate, then
> tell them politely.  There's no need to go off on him for attempting to
> make the SCA a bit more historically accurate while at the same time
> trying to provide more funds for Atlantia and her Chirurgeons.

I agree that it is a little premature to call for mailing the postmaster.
No significant harm is done by one person posting an inappropriate note
to this forum.  And I'm sure he meant no harm by it, and I hope that
nobody has been impolite to him.

However, let me be very clear on a few points.

First, this assassination game has nothing to do with history, or the
middle ages.  The idea of a guild of assassins is a product of Gary
Gygax.  The assassination game itself (in its live roleplaying aspect)
was published commercially in the late 70's.  (I forget whether Scott
Bizar or Steve Jackson made it up, and it doesn't matter.  But I was
working in the gaming industry at the time--I know whereof I speak).
There never was anything like an Assassin's Guild in the period and
area of study of the SCA.  It is exactly as medieval as a guild of
vampires or one of wizards.  NOT.

Second, I am not saying the game is bad.  It is, however, not appropriate
in this context.  And raising funds for the Chirurgeons or other worthy
causes will not change that fact, any more than playing live D&D and
donating the entrance fees to the Oak (a very worthy cause) would
make Wizards and Elves appropriate.

Third, my reaction was speedy and concise because this idea pops up
again and again.  To provide you a context:

Ten and a half years ago, in the Tidewater area, there were some
people who decided that an Assassin's Guild would be a fun idea.
They weren't bad people, but they decided that what was fun for them
would be fun for everyone, and they played their game at SCA events.
In fact, in at least one case they decided that at a particular SCA
event, everyone was going to play unless they specially asked not to.
Things got worse, and the Baron and Baroness of Marinus asked the
King to step in and tell them to chill.  The King sent them a letter
saying basically the following:

	"Your game sounds like fun.
	Your game is not appropriate for SCA events.
	I hope you don't think I am a meanie, but
	Play your fun game elsewhere."

If you like, I'll send you a copy of the letter.  I think I still
have it around somewhere.  I was the King at the time.

Regards,

Dafydd ap Gwystl