Re: Event Flyer: A Viking question?????

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Eogan wrote:

> In addtion to this fascinating fact on Vikings, let me share a bit of
> knowledge with you.  About a year or so ago, I was watching a program on
> either the Learning Channel or the History Channel (I wish I had better
> documentation).  But the jist was, somewhere in Canada they had found
> some artifacts from around 500 AD that were NOT Native American, NOT
> Viking, and LOOKED Celtic.  Just so happens that there is a legend about
> St. Brendan sailing off the Western Coast of Ireland (about 500 AD), and
> having a wonderful adventure, and visiting a strange foreign land, etc.,
> that was always taken as just a legend.  But these artifacts got people
> thinking, and a group of experimental archeiologists (archeologists who
> try and recreate the past), built a small ship similar to one that St.
> Brendan would have used, and followed the supposed route in the story.
> To make a long story short, they made it to N. America.  Whether'tis true
> or not is another matter, but it would be interesting.  I personally
> choose to beleive.

Wasn't it either Thor Heyrdahl or Tim Severin who recreated Brendan's voyage
with some help from the Irish several years back? I seem to recall an article
in National Geographic about it. They built a boat of the period and style
that Brendan was to have used and sailed it across the Atlantic to somewhere
on the coast of Canada or Nova Scotia.

In service,
Corun