Re: Event Flyer: A Viking question?????

Poster: Dick Eney <dickeney@access.digex.net>

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Katherine Morse wrote:

> >Someone once told me something about the Vikings discovering North America
> way before Columbus. Is there any truth to this? Where is a good place to
> start looking?

They sure did -- their coins and tools have been found, though for quite
a while it was fashionable to believe that the tales of Vinland and
Markland were mere fables.  After all, they came from Eric the Red, and
anybody who would call that big lump of ice off the coast of Canada "Green
Land" had to have a casual attitude toward the truth.  Look under
"Vinland", "Norse (or Viking) Discovery of America", or "Eric the Red" for
further references...there are a number of books specifically about this.

|---------Master Vuong Manh, C.P., Storvik, Atlantia---------|
|Now, let's stop and think: how would Bugs Bunny handle this?|
|----------------(dickeney@access.digex.net)-----------------|