Basque Fishing Villages In America

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

> >> 	Yes, this is true.  The Vikings had small colonies in North
> >> America hundreds of years before Columbus.  You could probably find more
> >> information in any encyclopedia or a good book on Viking history.
>
> >The Vikings weren't the only ones.  Check out the Irish and the Welsh
> >also.
>
> Saw a few years ago that there was evidence of Basque fishing villages Ca
> 14th-15th C... I think it was National Geographic.

I first heard about this in "Shame of Man" (by Piers Anthony (it's a sequel,
of sorts, to "Isle of Woman"; both books skip through the entire history of
Mankind, following recurring characters and themes (kind of like the Robin
Williams movie "Being Human" but _very_ painstakingly researched.)))

It's interesting, and it makes me wonder w`at other Basque doings may have
been overlooked, but it doesn't qualify as "way before Columbus".  In fact,
I was under the impression that it was after Columbus.  But I didn't see the
NG piece.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

A man held a makework political job, polishing the cannon in front of the
county courthouse. It kept him fed and let him put a little money aside,
but he wasn't getting ahead in the world. So one day he withdrew his life's
savings, bought a brass cannon -- and went into business for himself.
   -- Robert A. Heinlein, _The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress_