Re: Censorship

Poster: Michael and MJ Houghton <herveus@access.digex.net>

Alfredw wrote:

> Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com
>
> > I am a bit confused about how the responses to the UBAG post could be
> > construed as wanting censorship. In the originating post, there was nothing
> > to suggest that this was an appropriate posting for this list.  And given
> > some of the history the SCA has had with actual assassinations for hire, I
> > can not fault a hasty, negative response.  No one has suggested that this
> > list be closed, but rather it stay on the topic for which it was intended.
>
> I am _really_ confused.
>
> I had the distinct impression that the original poster genuinely _thought_
> that a properly run assassination game would be a Good Thing for an SCA
> event in Atlantia.  Why isn't it appropriate to post on this list what
> you _think_ is a Good Thing for SCA events in Atlantia?
The problem was that the original post contained nothing at all to show how
it might be pertinent in any way. There was no reference to the SCA even
obliquely. Zip. Nada.

> If it's only appropriate to post what really _are_ Good Things, then
> my question remains: Where is there a forum for me to find out if
> what I _think_ is a Good Thing really _is_?
>
> I was unaware that there had been actual murders of any sort in the
> SCA, let alone assassinations for hire.  When did this occur?
>
> Did I imagine that someone posted a call to send complaints to the
> postmaster of the originating poster?

I mentioned that I had written to the postmaster and that others could
do so if they felt so lead. I don't believe I used an imperative tone.
Perhaps my action was a bit hasty; I don't know.

If I had had any clues (a Roanoke VA address doesn't quite make it as
a clue here) that this was in any way related to the SCA, I would not
have written to the postmaster. Most posts clearly are germane to this
list. The one that started this brouhaha was not (clearly germane).

yours,
Herveus