Re: MR-Disc: Activity Survey

Poster: "H L. Falls" <hlf@holmes.acc.Virginia.EDU>

> Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>
>
> I wrote:
> >>What's the difference between "Barrett's Privateers" and
> >>"California Girls" at an SCA event?
>
> Corun responded:
> >Alright, I give up. What is the difference between Barret's privateers and
> >California girls at an SCA event?
>

> I like Bambi's explanation!
>
> But what I *meant* was what is the difference between SINGING "Barrett's
> Privateers" and "California Girls" at an SCA event?
>
> Why should/would BP be any more acceptable than CG?
>
>         - Anarra

   Well, one person's opinion for what it's worth...

   "California Girls" is in an *obtrusively* modern style -- sort of
the "dayglo Nikes" of music.  "Barrett's Privateers" (at least if
you tune out the first line) is more the "generic t-tunic" -- it's
not _really_ Period, but to the less-musically-trained the "old
fashioned" folk style sort of blends in.  (Personally, I think BP
is quite acceptable at the late-night campfire, but less so during
more "formal" parts of the event.  Beach music would, *at least for
me*, clash even late at night...)

--Landi