Re: MR: Barrett & the Beach Boys

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

An advantage of getting the digest is that I can read lots of opinions
before replying.  :)

edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Ed Hopkins) wrote:

>Or a better example (but harder to convey here) is my
>"Cuccu Bugge" ("Sumer Is Icumen In" in boogy-woogie).
>How does this sort of thing rate on a scale from negative
>four to positive three?

It goes along with non-period-style tunes, which I would like to hear less
of at events.  Or at least at the mainstream of events.  I agree with all
the comments about "Know Your Audience" and I would actually totally enjoy
hearing some of the stuff that is funny *because* one is sending up period
stuff in a modern style (or Vice Versa).  Just not at the main bardic.

Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net> wrote:

>It [Barret's Privateers] is also vaguely what many people
>in the SCA recognize as perioid (not a typo)

>The song "California Girls" however is so clearly not perioid (there's
>that word again) that it is recognized by even the most brain damaged
>person knows it's rock and roll.

I think you've got a very good point here - that of perioid being more
acceptable than outright OOP.  Though a song about Canadian Privateering
against American ships in 1778/1781 ("It's been three years since we sailed
away / And I just reached Halifax yesterday"), written by a Canadian in the
1970s, sounds very outright OOP to me.  ;)

>...and I suspect that you meant to make the point that
>is one non-period, modern (read 20th century) song was acceptable, then
>why not all modern songs. Fear not, the irony of your comment was not
>lost,...

Good.  I hate loosing my irony.  ;)  Mister Irony Is Our Friend.   (No wait,
that's costuming....)

>Now, I will
>add this caveat; modern songs with medaeval themes that are written in a
>period style should be perfectly acceptable, as should modern lyrics about
>the SCA set to period melodies.

Absolutely.  I really really like perioid or period style tunes with SCA
themes.  Very acceptable to me, even in Court.  "The Burden of the Crown"
and "Somewhere in An Tir" (Have you heard that song, BdeB?) are two very
good examples.

Bards keep <s0jswelc@atlas.vcu.edu> wrote:

>3.Is a great huddling under a leaking tent, holding on to a pole
>for dear life kinda song...:-)

Now this, I agree with!!  Somehow, holding on for dear life and singing "
Gaudete" doesn't have that same feeling....  :D

>...perhaps something like her [Leslie Fish's] setting of Kiepling's
>"The Quest" would [fit].

Much of Kipling set to period style music is MORE than acceptable to me.
Many tunes on "Cold Iron" are nice.  I frequently sing a song set to music
by an An Tirian to Kipling's poem "Old Grey Widowmaker" (or whatever the
real name is) with no compunctions whatsoever.

>(very much smiling and thinking that only Lady Annara would list
>"Somewhere in An Tir" on that first list of songs she gave....)

Well of course. ;) Pin me down sometime and I'll sing it for you.  It was
written by a Lady who couldn't go to the Twenty Year Celebration, so she
wrote this song and sent it to the Bardic without her.

edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com wrote:

>OTOH, if this were an _important_ difference, I would expect
>Simon and Garfunkle's "Scarborough Fair" to be frowned upon at
>events, and I don't find this to be true.

I was under the impression that the words and tune to "Scarborough Fair" (
though not the harmony in S&G's version) were period.  If not, it is at
least perioid and belongs wiht the perioid stuff.

        - Anarra