Re: MR: Barrett & the Beach Boys

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

> >OTOH, if this were an _important_ difference, I would expect
> >Simon and Garfunkle's "Scarborough Fair" to be frowned upon at
> >events, and I don't find this to be true.
>
> I was under the impression that the words and tune to "Scarborough Fair"
> (though not the harmony in S&G's version) were period.  If not, it is at
> least perioid and belongs with the perioid stuff.

I don't dispute that "Scarborough Fair" is from the Period.
But thanks to S&G, it is a familiar part of mundane popular culture.
I was attempting to address a different theory, namely, that
perhaps "Barrett's Privateers" is considered acceptable at
SCA gatherings because it is something that is _not_ a part of
mundane popular culture.  It's the flip side of another (untenable)
theory I have, that something considered jarringly modern
(e.g. Coca-Cola in red-and-white cans) would be justifibly
frown upon at events EVEN if they were thoroughly documented
as existing in the Period.

I suddenly remembered that the Beach Boys recorded a version of
"The Lord's Prayer" ("Our Father, Who art in Heaven")  The words
certainly existed in the Period.  The tune was not popularly
accessible, but I'm not sure if it's "period" or even "perioid".
Has anyone else heard it?  How would you rate it?

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com