Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>

> OTOH, if this were an _important_ difference, I would expect
> Simon and Garfunkle's "Scarborough Fair" to be frowned upon at
> events, and I don't find this to be true.
>
> -- Alfredo
>
> Alfredo

"Scarbourough Fair is completely acceptable, in my opinion.  Common, and
so is "Greensleeves,"  but when a performer is new to the SCA and trying
o do something that is medieval, mostly what they know is "Scarburough
Fair" and "Greensleeves."
I say we should encourage them.  Why would the fact that a period song,
recorded by a modern performer make it unacceptable.  Songs in which a
person is given an impossible set of tasks to perform are common
throughout the Middle Ages in most parts of Europe.  My favorite is one
called the Elfin Knight from late period Scotland, aka "A Discourse
betwixt a young maid and an Elphine Knight, or the Wind Hath Blown my
Plaid Awa."  I don't think I completely understand your meaning here, by
saying Scarbourough Fair should be frowned upon.
Aye,
Eogan