MR: Totally OOP songs

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

> [...] As much as I enjoy the song, if I hear
> "The Old Dun Cow" anywhere other than the post revel, I'll scream.

Me, too.  I'll scream "MACINTYRE"!

My pet peeve is "The Black Leather Band" ("Why Paddy Won't Be At
Work To-day").  When I hear it at a bardic circle, I'm tempted
to say, "In keeping with the special dispensation for Irish songs..."
then launch into U2's "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" ("How long must this
go on?")  Only my ignorance of that song's words holds me back.

Another difference between "Barrett's Privateers" and "Sloop John B."
is that the latter is a song we all heard in mundane settings long
before we joined the SCA, whereas (in my case, at least, and, I assume,
in most others') the former is a song we only hear from other Scadians.

OTOH, if this were an _important_ difference, I would expect
Simon and Garfunkle's "Scarborough Fair" to be frowned upon at
events, and I don't find this to be true.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com