Re: MR-Disc: Activity Survey

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Anarra (attempting to be more specific) wrote:

> I wrote:
> >>What's the difference between "Barrett's Privateers" and
> >>"California Girls" at an SCA event?
>
> Corun responded:
> >Alright, I give up. What is the difference between Barret's privateers and
> >California girls at an SCA event?
>
> But what I *meant* was what is the difference between SINGING "Barrett's
> Privateers" and "California Girls" at an SCA event?

Barret's privateers sing? I didn't know that. So.... ;-)

> Why should/would BP be any more acceptable than CG?

To attempt to seriously answer your question, the song "Barret's Privateers"
is a song about men at sea fighting and generally causing mayhem in a
warlike and testosterone induced frenzy. It also contains prophanity which
immediately raises its rating to R. It is also vaguely what many people
in the SCA recognize as perioid (not a typo), even though the sea shanties
we are familiar with are quite post period, as are most of the Irish and
Scottish songs we hear at events. As much as I enjoy the song, if I hear
"The Old Dun Cow" anywhere other than the post revel, I'll scream. (Aside:
To the gentle who might think this is directed at him, it isn't, it's just
a general statement on the state of SCA "bards" who insist on singing only
19th and 20th century music at events, much of which I not only enjoy but
sing as well)

The song "California Girls" however is so clearly not perioid (there's
that word again) that it is recognized by even the most brain damaged
person knows it's rock and roll.

But, you asked what the difference was between singing either of these
songs at an event, and I suspect that you meant to make the point that
is one non-period, modern (read 20th century) song was acceptable, then
why not all modern songs. Fear not, the irony of your comment was not
lost, and I agree with you that if we're going to attempt to recreate
a medaeval atmosphere at events, then we should leave Stan Rogers (as
great as his music is) and all the 18th, 19th and 20th c. sea shanties,
pub songs and Irish/Scots immigrant songs at the post revel. Now, I will
add this caveat; modern songs with medaeval themes that are written in a
period style should be perfectly acceptable, as should modern lyrics about
the SCA set to period melodies. To sing a tribute to ones kingdom, king,
queen, knight or lady using a period melody and a period style shows at
least some effort at research and re-creation. We are, afterall, already
re-creating ourselves as kings, queens, knights, barons, lords and ladies.

To close, I will state that I have for a long time wanted to compete for
the position of Royal Bard, however I will not do so until I have satisfied
myself that I have an adequate and documentable repertoire.

(Another aside: To the gentle who once asked from the audience if I had
documentation for the Ballad of Sir Patrick Spence, I do, but don't know
if it would be considered primary or secondary source material. I'll have
to ask someone more knowledgable than I.)

In service,
Corun