Re: MR: Totally OOP songs

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Alfredo wrote:

> My pet peeve is "The Black Leather Band" ("Why Paddy Won't Be At
> Work To-day").  When I hear it at a bardic circle, I'm tempted
> to say, "In keeping with the special dispensation for Irish songs..."
> then launch into U2's "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" ("How long must this
> go on?")  Only my ignorance of that song's words holds me back.

A couple of Pennsics ago I was walking through that part of the bazaar
a couple streets behind the barn when I heard this fellow with his
guitar singing that song. The worst part was that he was using one
of those small amplifiers for both the guitar and his microphone. I
was very tempted to walk behind him and unplug it and admonish him
loudly in front of his audience about the inappropriateness of
using amplification for his busking, especially for non-period
songs. I didn't do this, but apparently someone complained because
he was soon performing sans electronics. I also found out later
that this guy is some sort of well known SCA recording artist. Well,
in my not so humble opinion (have been a professional musician
and singer) he wasn't that good, and if he was in the SCA he should
certainly have known better than to bring out the amp and mic.

> OTOH, if this were an _important_ difference, I would expect
> Simon and Garfunkle's "Scarborough Fair" to be frowned upon at
> events, and I don't find this to be true.

This is probably because, if I remember correctly, Scarborough
Faire is in some form a period song, and most people are most
familiar with S&G's version.

In service,
Corun