Pottery A&S September 21st

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

Caer Mear's September A&S day will be a pottery workshop at our house on
Saturday September 21st beginning at 11:30am and going until we all get
tired. (Ever mindful that Ana and I have to be at the dock to sail a
Longship by Noon the next day!)

                       ---> PLEASE RSVP!!! <---

I took a pit-fired pottery workshop at 3YC and I plan on passing on the
knowledge. We will be doing pinch pottery and coiled pottery.  We plan on
having a fire
pit to fire the stuff in a few months (after it's all had time to dry) or
you can hit up your local kiln and fire it there. (Where it's more likely to
survive the experience.)

So, come one and all and play in the mud!

There will be a materials fee of $1.50 to cover buying, what else, materials.
Please bring the following:

 - A smooth item, such as a highly polished rock, to burnish your pottery
 - Tools to score and mark and decorate your pottery (nails, pins, pottery
     tools, etc.)
 - Paint small paint brush (if you have one) to paint on decorations.
     (Don't bring a paint brush you love!)
 - Clothes you don't mind getting clay and iron oxide (if I can
     find some) on.
 - Hand cream for your poor dried hands (clay does that to you)
 - A rag and some plastic bags.  You can take home half-finished
     items that way
 - Any books or pictures you have of period pottery
 - A couple of aluminum pie plates or something else to hold water  (We have
     these, but the more the merrier!)
 - A pot luck contribution for dinner

Don't worry if you don't have some of this stuff, we will also have some to
share.  We'd rather have YOU!!

We will have a grill and charcoal if you want to bring grillables.  We will
provide fizzy soft drinks, iced tea and ice.

DIRECTIONS:

>From southern Maryland:
Drive south on Highway 301 until you come to the intersection of highway 30.
This is 15 miles south of Bowing Green. (If you get to Hanover Courthouse
you've gone too far.)  There is a trafic light at that intersection. Go
through the traffic light (do NOT turn onto highway 30) and take the first
Left onto Old Dawn Road (Across from Dyson's General Store).  We are the
first house on the Right.  A blue Ranch with an enormous oak tree in front
and a pony pen and out buildings in the back.  31377 Old Dawn Road.  (804)
994-5845.

>From the North:
Drive south on I-95 to the King's Dominion/Doswell exit.  (If you get to the
Ashland exit, you've gone too far.)  Turn Left at the top of the ramp onto
highway 30 East.  ***

>From the South:
Drive north on I-95 to the King's Dominion/Doswell Exit. (If you get to the
Carmel Church exit you've gone too far.)  Turn Right at the top of the ramp
onto highway 30 East. ***

*** continue past King's Dominion on highway 30 East for approximately 5
miles.  At the intersection of 30 and 301 there is a traffic light.  Turn
Right onto Highway 301.  Take the first Left onto Old Dawn Road (Across from
Dyson's General Store).  We are the first house on the Right.  A blue Ranch
with an enormous oak tree in front and a pony pen and out buildings in the
back.  31377 Old Dawn Road.  (804) 994-5845.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

        - Ana Ilevna and Anarra Karlsdottir
          MOAS and Deputy MOAS of Caer Mear