Re: R 3rd and tabloid playwrights

Poster: einar@cvn.net (carl christianson)

posted by Elen Prydydd

Brigantia wrote:

>Actually  I feel that old Willie was like the National Enquirer of his
>time-write anything to make a buck (perhaps that should be pence).

Not a bad analogy, actually.  Especially if you even wonder if Bill S.
really was some small town boy made good, or if that was a pen name for some
courtier.  I forget which titled nobleman was under consideration for being
the true author of Shakespeare's work, but this is an actual bona fide
theory, based, in great part, on the perceived education and sophistication
of the author.  In the case of this play, the "buck/pence" in question would
be royal favor - no small change back then.  Kinda makes you wonder, at
least it does me!