Re: MR: Bassadanza

Poster: Virtual Valkyries <valkyries@jagunet.com>

I have some information on basse dances.  Is there one in particular that
you are looking for?  The ones that are most commonly done in the SCA right
now include Gelosia (sp?) and Verceppe.  At least I think I'd classify
Verceppe as a basse dance.  Jouissance vous donneray is also reasonably
common, as far as these things go.  Both the music and steps are easy to
find as it is in Arbeau.
Here are some other sources for basse dances:
MS. of Marie de Bourgogne, C. 1450.  Plusieurs basses danses
Robert Coplande, 1521.  The Manner of Dancing Bace Dances
Pierre Attaignment, 1529. Dixhuit Basses Dances

In service,
Victoria Fitzgerald

At 11:44 AM 10/3/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)
>
>Ioannes Donatus Falconator scripsit:
>> Does anybody else in the Rose have bassadanza (basse dance)
>> information? I'd love some, although right now I don't think I could
>> do any research myself until Christmastide.
>
>I might have some information, if this the dance to a song that
>goes like this:
>
>  Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Bassadanza,
>  Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegria y como lanza.
>  Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Bassadanza.
>  Ehhhh, Bassadanza!
>
>-- Alfredo
>
>Alfredo el Bufon
>Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
>edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com
>______________________________________
>
>Facilis descensus Averni;                |The descent to Avernus is easy;
>Noctes atque dies patet atri janua Ditis;|Night and day Pluto's gates are open;
>Sed revocare gradum,                     |But to recall your steps,
>    superasque evadere ad auras,         |    and climb to the upper air,
>Hoc opus, hic labor est.                 |That is the toil, that is the work.
>          -- Publius Vergilius Maro      |                  -- Virgil

 * Amy Lindsey & Matthew Severns  *  "She saw Valkyries     *
 * Virtual Valkyries              *  Come from afar         *
 * Web Services                   *  Ready to ride          *
 * birg@jagunet.com               *  To the tribes of god"  *
 * (410)448-4699                  *      - Saemund's Edda   *