Re: War horses (was RE: How Mil Specs Live Forever)

Poster: "Thorpe, John" <thorpj@caepo1.columbiaSC.NCR.COM>

Greetings from Eldred!

Scripsit Aelfgar GreySeas:

%A couple of observations, in response to some previous statements on this
%thread.

[snip]

%One of my favorite 'historical myths' is the alleged effectiveness of the
%war chariot as a weapon system. Hollywood not withstanding, no hero who
%ever wore armour could effectively wield a sword or a bow from an unsprung
%vehicle moving at any speed over unpaved ground. As a way to make a big
%entrance onto the battlefield, you can't beat a chariot. But if you want to
%actually fight somebody, dismount and go for it.

One of my most vivid memories of middle school is a "World History"
teacher describing how the Hittites defeated the Egyptians using
chariots that had swords/blades attached to the hubs of their wheels.
I think he described it as a Veg-O-Matic(tm).

Where he got that tidbit, I have no idea....and after a while, I wondered
how
well a chariot really works in the sand.....

In service,
Eldred