Re: War horses (was RE: How Mil Specs Live Forever)

Poster: Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com>

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Aelfgar GreySeas wrote:

<snip>

> One of my favorite 'historical myths' is the alleged effectiveness of the
> war chariot as a weapon system. Hollywood not withstanding, no hero who
> ever wore armour could effectively wield a sword or a bow from an unsprung
> vehicle moving at any speed over unpaved ground. As a way to make a big
> entrance onto the battlefield, you can't beat a chariot. But if you want to
> actually fight somebody, dismount and go for it.

Lord Aelfgar, there were a few thousand chariots, used on both sides, at
the battle of Khadesh c. 1500 BC.  I wouldn't be surprised if the users
didn't choose the ground for their battles rather carefully, but that
doesn't mean they weren't fighting from the things.

Now I know that a reading of the Illiad suggests that the Trojans and
Greeks would ride their chariots to the battlefield, where they would
dismount and fight as infantry.  That doesn't make the chariot a
non-combat vehicle.  After all, Harald Hardarian (sp) dismounted and
fought on foot at Stanford Bridge.  Does that mean that the Norman
knights did not fight from horse that same year at Hastings?

In service
Leifr Johansson