From: atlantia
To: PETERSR; atlantia
Subject: Re: Ceremonies of property transfer
Date: Tuesday, October 15, 1996 10:28AM

Poster: clevin@rci.ripco.com (Craig Levin)

> Poster: PETERSR@spiegel.becltd.com (Peters, Rise J.)
>
> I'm looking for information regarding the medieval ceremony for transfer
of
> property rights (I believe this was "transfer of seisen," and that the
> estate was "fee simple," but I'm not sure) that involved handing over a
> clump of dirt.  (It's amazing what your mundane friends ask you about once

> they know what you do for fun.)  In particular, I'd like to know not only
> the nature of the estate involved, but also:  (1) the ceremonial details:
>  who had to be present, who could be represented by proxies; (2) was there
> writing involved and if so what did it look like; and (3) was there a
> specific spoken form and if so what wording was required?  Plus, anything
> else one would want to know in order to replicate a ceremonial, effective
> medieva

I recommend that you go to a library and find Littleton's
Tenures, which were written in the 1400's. Littleton's is the
one of the first books describing English land law in detail,
and, even more fortunately, it was the first to do so in English,
as opposed to Law French or Latin.Look at his chapter on fealty,
not the chapter on homage. If you don't have access to a law
library, email me, and I'll send you the gory details, or post
them to the Merry Rose, if anyone else would like to hear them.

Pedro de Alcazar, AoA
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Cornet & Junior Minion
Or, six castles Vert within a bordure Gules semy of roundels Or
 --
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com