Re: Jobs and Cookies

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

Greetings to Cheapside;

cookie"), Aurora wrote (excerpted):

> I have noticed that certain cookies
> don't seem to be given out unless the work you've done is recognized as
> work/effort/worthy of note/important to your Kingdom and Way Spiff. In short,
> the warranted jobs.

Actually, this is not correct.

I have never been to a Pelican meeting where anyone said or implied that
service could only be as a warranted officer of some sort.  In fact, the
most common type of cumulative service which is examined for recognition
is running events, which is not a job requiring any warrant.  Although
service as a Kingdom Officer (all warranted) weighs heavy, that is only
because it is service to the whole Kingdom--running Kingdom level events
is also more heavily weighed than local events.

There is a lot of (mis)information propagated about how awardcookies
are given out.  This is an interesting new formulation of such
misinformation.

I've heard a similar idea expressed in fighting as "if you aren't a squire,
you won't ever be knighted", which is also incorrect.  I've heard the
same thing about apprentices/Laurels, about teaching in University, about
fighting in wars/Knighting, about autocratting Kingdom events/Pelicans,
about being a Kingdom Officer/Pelicans, and so on.

There have been made Knights who were never squires; there have been
many Laurels who were never apprentices or taught at University,
there have been made Pelicans who never ran Kingdom events, and
likewise Pelicans who were never Kingdom Officers.  All of these
things are _considered_; many of them are _important_; none of them
are _required_ or a guarantee of cookie reward.

One thing I can tell you is that nobody has ever been Knighted in this
kingdom who did not fight; nobody has been Laureled who had no Art;
and nobody has been given a Pelican who never served their Kingdom.

But there is no direct correspondence between warrants and reward of
service through cookies.  Some jobs have warrants and are _not_ weighted
heavily for reward; some jobs have no warrants and _are_ weighted
heavily.

Dafydd ap Gwystl