Re: Ceremonies of property transfer

Poster: clevin@rci.ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Alfredo:

> Certainly something should be handed over (to give that poor kid a visual
> memory of the event before he gets hit) but I seem to recall reading that
> it'd be more likely to be something like an inscribed dagger than a clump
> of dirt.  (It'd be another thing the new owner could bring out when there
> was a dispute later on).  Would the mayor accept (or rather give) a statuette
> carved from an actual stone from the site, maybe?

Belting a kid present at the event was a fine and even touching
way of making sure he could recall it. He was also usually given
some sort of goodie to make sure that he didn't take it too hard.
Daggers do certainly seem to have been used, if Clanchy's From
Memory to Written Record is to be believed-and since it's an
excellent piece of work, I see no reason why not. I like the
statuette idea!
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com