Re: Ceremonies of property transfer

Poster: PETERSR@spiegel.becltd.com (Peters, Rise J.)

Gentle lords and ladies,  I am gradually putting together quite a nice
image, with your help, of what the land conveyance ceremony should entail.
 I've found some nice touches (see the discussion on livery of seisin
below), but want to clear up a few points.

Please help me puzzle this through.  The good Pedro de Alcazar said, go to
Littleton, and look at the chapter on fealty, not on homage.

But, of course, one can hardly stop reading just because the chapter
changes, and so I've found text as follows:

"Sec. 90.  Note, none shall do homage but such as have an estate in fee
simple, or fee tail, in his own right, or in the right of another.  For it
is a maxim in law, that he which hath an estate but for term of life shall
neither do homage nor take homage."

This looks promising, since the estate we are trying to create here is a fee
simple.  But the ceremony for making homage would probably be hard to "sell"
to the Mayor and the various recipients (Chancellor, CEO and college
president) involved:

"Sec. 85.  [Inter alia] when the tenant shall make homage to his lord, he
shall be ungirt [is this "disarmed?"] and his head uncovered, and his lord
shall sit, and the tenant shall kneel before him on both his knees, and hold
his hands jointly together between the hands of his lord, and shall say
thus:  I become your man from this day forward, of life and limb and of
earthly worship, and unto you shall be true and faithful, and bear to you
faith for the tenements that I claim to hold of you, saving the faith that I
owe unto our sovereign lord the king; then the lord, so sitting, shall kiss
him.
"Sec. 86.  But if an abbot, or a prior, or other man of religion, shall do
homage to his lord, he shall not say, I become your man, &c., for that he
hath professed himself to be only the man of God.  But he shall say thus:  I
do homage unto you, and to you I shall be true and faithfuland faith to you
bear for the tenements which I hold of you, saving the faith which I do owe
unto our lord the king."

Lord Pedro de Alcazar having kindly provided the details of the ceremony of
fealty, I shan't repeat them; I just want to confirm that, in spite of what
Littleton says about the fee simple, fealty and not homage is what's wanted
here.

However, I do think I've figured out the role of the clump of dirt; it's
part of the requirement of  "livery of seisin."   I quote from Walker,
Estates with Respect to Duration (1846) [property law doesn't change really
fast... we're still studying medieval law in school, and this is from my own
first-year textbook]:

"As a feud, once created, could not be terminated by the mere will of the
lord, whatever could be held as a feud, was called a frank tenement or
freehold.  Now feuds could not be conferred for a term of years, but were
either for life or hereditary; and hence freeholds included only estates in
fee, and for life.  Again, feuds were always conferred by corporeal
investiture; and hence by the common law, freeholds could not be created
without livery of seisin.  This term, seisin, seisina, originally signified
actual possession of land under a feudal grant.  But when feuds became
hereditary, and the heir succeeded by law to the rights of the ancestor, a
distinction was made between seisin in fact, which was the actual possession
before mentioned, and seisin in law, which was the right of possession
acquired by the here before entry, but not perfected into actual possession
until entry.  A similar distinction is held to prevail now, where the
ceremony of livery of seisin is still in use, which signifies that formal
delivery of possession requried to perfect the conveyance of a freehold.
 The parties, grantor and grantee, with their witnesses, go to or upon the
land, and the grantor actually delivers to the grantee a ke