Re: Homage and Fealty

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredus)

Lady Aileen McDonagh notes, parenthetically:
> (I've sworn fealty to Syr Forgal, in a ceremony more resembling the paying
> of homage.  As I could be no one's "man", would you then call it "dammage?")

"Homage" comes from the Latin "homo", which means "man" in its
original sense of "human being".  (The Latin word for the later,
gender-specific sense of "man" is "vir" (as in "virtue")).
So "homage" is still the correct term, and "I am your man" is
still the correct phrase, even if the man speaking is a wif-man.

-- Alfredus

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com