Re: Homage and Fealty

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo)

> FEALTY (1) noun: constancy to something to which one is bound by a pledge
>                  or duty. Synonymous to fidelity, allegiance, ardor,
>                  devotion, steadfastness, faithfulness, loyalty.
>
> HOMAGE (1) noun: respect or esteem shown one as due or claimed by one as a
>                  right. Synonymous with honor, deference, obeisance,
> 	           reverence.
>
> I would say, at least from my experience, that in the SCA we definately have
> the fealty NOT the homage...

I think that the definition you give for "homage" is one that developed
in Modern Times.  There is another definition of the word that seems
closer to the kind of thing that concerns us.  Here are the definitions
given by the On-Line Webster:

fe.al.ty \'fe-(-*)l-te-\ n [alter. of ME feute, fr. OF
     feelte`, fealte`, fr. L fidelitat-, fidelitas - more at
     FIDELITY]
 1a: the fidelity of a vassal or feudal tenant to his lord
 1b: the obligation of such fidelity
 2: FAITHFULNESS, ALLEGIANCE

hom.age \'(h)a:m-ij\ n [ME, fr. OF hommage, fr.
     homme man, vassal, fr. L homin-, homo man; akin
     to OE guma man, L humus earth - more at HUMBLE]
 1a: a ceremony by which a man acknowledges
       himself the vassal of a lord
 1b: the relationship between a feudal lord and his man
 1c: an act done or payment made in meeting the
      obligations of vassalage
 2a: reverential regard : DEFERENCE
 2b: flattering attention : TRIBUTE

vas.sal \'vas-*l\ n [ME, fr. MF, fr. ML vassallus, fr.
     vassus servant, vassal, of Celtic origin; akin to
     Welsh gwas boy, servant]
 1: a person under the protection of another who is his
     feudal lord and to whom he has vowed homage and
     fealty : a feudal tenant
 2: one in a subservient or subordinate position -
     vassal aj

By these definitions, though, homage and fealty look
pretty much like two sides of the same coin.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com