no AOA scrolls before devices passed

Poster: Becky McEllistrem <beckymc@MICROSOFT.com>

----------
From:  James and Nancy Gilly[SMTP:KatieMorag@worldnet.att.net]
Sent:  Monday, November 11, 1996 10:15 AM
To:  Atlantian Mailing List
Subject:  Re: MR: bagpipes, AOAs, etc.

Poster: James and Nancy Gilly <KatieMorag@worldnet.att.net>

Well, for one thing, Atlantia has this (to me, silly) custom that AoA
scrolls cannot be prepared if the recipient does not have arms passed.

Actually there are very serious reasons as to why this rule exists.  Besides
being custom, encouraging members to pass their heraldry, etc.   this rule
defends scribes.

For example:

Say I'm going to do your scroll without your device passed.  I leave three
blank lines for the blazon and fill in a name that you're certain has passed
kingdom.  You find out later that not only did it not pass kingdom but that
the blazon didn't need that much room.  The scroll begins to look rather
strange with all that blank space.  What would more commonly happen is
someone not leaving enough space for the blazon OR the name and then
something that seems slightly different passes, which written in heraldese
is actually longer.  This is a scribe's nightmare.  Even though a name
can sometimes be scratched out or painted over, if the scribe wants to
attach their name to the scroll and consider it quality work, they'll probably want to
do it over again.

Not having a device passed, makes creates problems when trying to personalize
the illumination.  It's very easy to assume that a scribe can probably use the colors
of the device in the illumination and give a recipient colors that they'll like.  If they
don't have a device to go by, then there's a lot of hunting down of the recipient to
figure out what they might like, etc.

You could still privately commission a scribe to do a scroll for you that did leave
spaces for everything.  I generally would not pass it out in court but the scribe could
display it  Then you're still commissioning a promissory, not a scroll.
WARNING: Remember, if you EVER privately commission a scroll, please
contact the Clerk of Signet to let me know so their is no duplication of effort.

 If a
device is passed by the College of Arms before the AoA is granted, then the
individual will not have such a long wait before finally receiving his or
her scroll -- given a helpful scribe, the scroll itself can actually be
presented when the AoA is given, rather than just a promissory.

That usually is the ideal.  But what it does mean is that those with their
names and devices passed go to the "do-able" list and those without names
and devices passed are on the "not do-able" backlog list.

IF and a BIG IF here but IF there is ever a time in Atlantia when all the scrolls
get done from the backlog and there is nothing left but those scrolls where
the recipient does NOT have heraldry passed THEN I would consider the
possibility of assigning those out.  However that is a HUGE IF and as I said,
I would CONSIDER the possibility.  That's not a guarantee that I would actually
start such a practice.

Rebecca the Contrary
Clerk of Signet, Atlantia

Just my tuppence worth....  (Was only a ha'penny, but you know what
inflation's like these days!)

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Barony of Marinus