MR: Disjointed Argument In Re Escort

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

Concerning the question of escorting ladies into court,
there are six possible positions, which I will number
for purposes of discussion:

 1) Mandatory escort is preferable to forbidding all escorts.

 2) Mandatory escort is preferable to optional escort.

 3) Optional escort is preferable to mandatory escort.

 4) Optional escort is preferable to forbidding all escorts.

 5) Forbidding all escorts is preferable to optional escorts.

 6) Forbidding all escorts is preferable to mandatory escorts.

I have been following the thread of this question at the
Merry Rose, and it strikes me that the vast majority of
postings either assert position 1 or position 3.
The postings that support position 1 meseem written as if
they were countering postings that support position 6,
but I don't recall seeing any such postings.  Have there
been some, that were missed or misinterpreted by me?
Or could it be that those who support position 1 are aware
of an underlying principle ("Anything not mandatory is
forbidden") that renders position 3 identical to position 6?

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com