Re: Justin's Peerage appearances

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

Aedric the Green writes, in part:
> [...]  I think that at first
> only Ordered Knights could advance so that the non-Ordered Peerage doesn't
> end up as some sort of "giveaway" by the Crown to their buds.  Sir Fred
> shouldn't get to be a Viscount just because King Charles is his brother,
> for example.

Why not?  In the Period, did not the Duke of York, for example, hold
that title precisely because his brother was the King of England?

I propose that the Crown _should_ be allowed to grant titles to
his cronies, _but_ that only the currently-existing Court Baroncy
would remain in effect beyond the granting reign.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com
______________________________________
He hade vpon vche pece,
Wypped ful wel and wlonk;
The gayest into Grece,
The burne bede bryng his blonk.
Whyle the wlonkest wedes he warp on hymseluen --
His cote wyth the conysaunce of the clere werkez
Ennurned vpon veluet, vertuus stonez
Aboute beten and bounden, enbrauded semez,
And fayre furred withinne wyth fayre pelures --
3et laft he not the lace, the ladiez gifte,
That forgat not Gawayn for gode of hymseluen.
   "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"