Re: disc: ONE Peerage, Different Orders, or No Order (fwd)

Poster: clevin@rci.ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Lord Liefr:

> Lord Pedario writes:
       ^^^^^^^-A new variant upon my name, sir, of which I was
previously unaware. Might I know its origin?

> > It's also something that didn't mean very much, early on. Most
> > pre-1100 knights (_miles_ or _ministeriales_ in Latin) were very
> > low on the social scale. In fact, some _ministeriales_ were refer-
> > red to in German records as serfs.
> Personally, I kind of shot for the time when knights were less then
> barons, but more then commoners.

<shrug> Puts it at about any time after the Third Crusade, for
most parts of Europe. Germany was, well, not quite at the
cultural forefront as France was, after the Ottonians.

> > If anything, the Garter was an attempt to revive the Round Table by
> > the romance-stricken Edward III.
>
> In other words, the creation of a king in the late middle ages (or late
> middleage ;-) who has a confused notion of what knights should be.
> Autharian romances do not the real knight define.

I dunno. Gautier's work on chivalry, though partially tainted
with _revanchisme_ (more or less to be expected from a vet of the
Franco-Prussian War), relied heavily on them. The romances set a
pattern of behavior, and, in a way, became a sort of "Bible" to
the "cult of chivalry," to use Maurice Keen's terms. In fact,
given the overlap of romance and biography in such works as Petit
Jehan de Saintre, the Life of the Unconquerable Don Pero Nino,
and biographies of the Black Prince and his contemporary,
Warwick, it's kind of hard to say whether art was imitating life,
or the other way around!

Pedro de Alcazar, AoA
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Pursuivant Extraordinary and Junior Minion
Or, six Castles Vert within a Bordure Gules semy of Roundels Or
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com