Re: MR: Brute Squad

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

> I've encountered two Brutelys here in the Outlands. But then, I travel
> quite a bit. On the other hand, I've only encountered one Authenticity
> Police. By contrast, I encountered three Brutelys in Atlantia (and
> a close friend tells of a likely fourth), and zero APs. But then, there are
> more fighters in Atlantia, too, and I've had more dealings with a variety
> of artistic types out here, not just the politely authentic ones.
>
> Incidentally, Brutelys and APs are apparently poor peer material.

I take it, by this last statement, that none of the APs or Brutes
in Mistress Branwynn's census were peers.  I think this is good news;
it shows that the Society's peerage system works.

Notice how the Authenticity Police, in the popular imagination,
is a sort of Anti-Laurel -- discouraging interest in the Arts
and Sciences by sniping where the Laurels encourage by example.
(Their opposing goals would account for the low overlap.)
This new concept of Brutes (I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself
to call them Brutelies) seems to point to a parallel Anti-Chivalry.
For completeness, I propose the concept of an Anti-Pelican, but
I don't know how such personalities would manifest themselves.

If I may make so bold as to assume that Mistress Branwynn is a
Mistress of the Laurel (rather than (or as well as) a Mistress
of the Pelican), such a status may make Authenticity Police
reluctant to show themselves to her, thereby making them seem
less common than they seem to others.  I daresay a similar effect
may cause Brutes to make themselves scarce to Peers of the Golden
Spur.

Of course, this assumes that the Peers would not become aware of
the Anti-Peers by less direct means, such as being appealed to by
the victims of the Anti-Peers oppressions.  Is it generally known
that Peers serve as champions of the downtrodden in such cases?

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

Him tha ellenrof  andswarode,         |Him, the strength-famed   answered,
wlanc Wedera leod,  word aefter spraec|wlonk Geat leader,  word after spoke
heard under helme:  "We synt Higelaces|hard under helm:  "We are Hygelac's
beodgeneatas;  Beowulf is min nama.   |table-companions;  Beowulf is my name.
Wille ic asecgan  sunu Healfdenes,    |I wish to tell  Healfdene's son,
maerum theodne  min aerende,          |the famous prince,  my errand,
aldre thinum,  gif he us geunnan wile |thy lord,  if he will not begrudge us,
thaet we hine swa godne  gretan moton.|that we, with his good self,  may speak."