Re: On the subject of fruits....

Poster: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace@acm.org>

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Matthew Allen Newsome wrote:

> Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>
>
> As long as we're talking about fruits, does anyone know what kind of
> citrus fruits were available in Europe before the discovery of the New World.
> (I ask, because I am a fan of cirtus and would like to know, and also
> because I watched 1492 on tape over the weekend, and the opening scene
> had Columbus eating what looked like an orange....)
> Aye,
> Eogan

That would probably be correct.  I don't have documentation, but I used
to live in Sagunto, Spain, a small town a few kilometers north of
Valencia.  There were hundreds and thousands of square kilometers
of orange groves in that area.  Also, I know the town has existed
since Roman times (*big* ruins at the top of the hill), so it's more
than likely that orange farmers were there in period.  I can check
some of my Spanish history books tonight, if you want.

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer
---
             |                       lovelace@acm.org