new book: "Ale, Beer and Brewsters in England"

Poster: "Robyyan Torr d'Elandris" <robyyan@pop.mindspring.com>

Our local newspaper this weekend had an article about a new book by
Judith Bennett, a medieval history scholar at UNC Chapel Hill,
titled "Ale, Beer and Brewsters in England"

The article looks like it should be a very interesting book to anyone
looking for information about historical brewing practices and about
the people who brewed.

>From the newspaper article:

    "My book looks at a very simple problem," the historian
    said.  "In 1300, almost all the people who brewed ale for
    sale in England were women, and by 1600, brewing was a man's
    occupation.  I tried to understand when that happened and
    why it happened."

I haven't seen the book yet, but I'm going to look for it. The best
bibliographic reference I can put together from the newspaper article
is:

    Bennett, Judith; _Ale, Beer and Brewsters in England_; ??,
    Oxford University Press, 1996

Robyyan Torr d'Elandris                         Dennis R. Sherman
Kapellenberg, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia         Chapel Hill, NC
robyyan@mindspring.com              dennis.sherman@mindspring.com
http://www.unc.edu/~sherman/robyyan.html