Re: Oranges

Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, David KUIJT wrote:

> Hmmmm.  You may be making an invalid assumption, here.  Many (MANY) fruits
> and vegetables known in the middle ages and renaissance are very different
> from the varieties known today by the same name. The modern ones are the
> product of many years of selective breeding. They are often more juicy,
> larger, sweeter, and sometimes even a different colour (e.g., carrots).

(interesting story snipped...)

> So just because "oranges" existed back then, doesn't mean that they
> were much like the sweet fruit that is squeezed to make refreshing
> juice.
>
> Dafydd

You bring up an interesting point...  Man has been selectively breeding
both animals and vegitables since their domestication.  Maybe different
breeds of oranges existed then, as they do now.  It reminds me of a time
I visited a vinyard, and thought to try one of the juicy looking grapes
hanging above me.  The bitter, thick skin fruit I ate was nothing like
the grapes I was used to.
Even if all medieval oranges were bitter, I probably would have liked
them anyway.--  I just love grapefruit juice!
Aye,
Eogan