Re: MR: Orange Juice known in Period

Poster: Stephanie Malone Thorson <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

Alfredo, in search of period orange juice, turned to the OED and found:

>      1598 _Epulario,_or,_the_Italian_banquet_ C ij:
>
>      Take the iuce of an Oringe, or else Vergice.

For what little this is worth, I think that _Epulario_ is the English'd
version of an Italian cookbook from the end of the 15th century, and so
our reference to juiced oranges may be somewhat older than 1598 (although
of course the OED would not include the Italian reference).  I have
(somewhere, probably in storage) some information about the Italian
version and its author, but none of it is floating around the top of my
head just now.

--Alianora