Re: Oyez

Poster: "Falcone al Rasool ibn Muhajir" <polearmed@worldnet.att.net>

Allah's Peace to the Merry Rose!!

Alfredo quipped:

> There is an entry for "oye", but it's the singular
> form ("Hear thou" instead of "Hear ye") which I
> suppose was used for _really_ poorly-attended
> courts.

Actually, until a few years ago, this was still being used by Brits at
least.  "Oye" was used to get people's attention, but in an agitated way.
Instead of saying, "Earth to Alfredo.....Earth to Alfredo", they look
straight at you and say rather loudly "OY"!!.  One syllable, but it works.

Donald
Donald S. Wagner             Sayyid Falcone al Rasool ibn Muhajir
Lead Technical Instructor        Barony of Windmasters' Hill
AT&T WorldNet Service                Kingdom of Atlantia