Re: claymores

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

Thomas MacFinn wrote, in part:

> 	Naming problems often find their way into SCA slang. Most fighters
> I know call a helm with a top made from plates joined by metal bands a
> (Viking) Spangenhelm. However I have also seen in the SCA an obviously
> historically-accurate Japenese helm called a Spangenhelm just because
> its top was constucted in a similar manner.

As a non-fighter, I have heard the term "Spangenhelm" many times,
but I didn't know what it meant until now.  I had jumped to the
conclusion that it was spelled "spang-in helm", and thought that
it derived from the past tense of a verb "to sping", which I assumed
meant "to dent (with a *sping* sound)".  Hence the third verse of my
song "She Killed You":

  Your spang-in helm reveals
  A fighter's mortal sin:
  To claim you didn't feel