Re: claymores

Poster: James and/or Nancy Gilly <KatieMorag@worldnet.att.net>

At 18:25 10-12-96 +0000, was written:
>According to Stone, the two-handed Claymore is a 15th-16th century weapon.
>The basket-hilted broadsword of the same name comes sometime later.
>
>Fin

Just of curiosity (and because *The Glossary of the Construction,
Decoration, and Use of Arms and Armour* is packed away in the attic
somewhere) I checked my Museum Replicas Ltd catalogue.  They offer two
claymores, one with straight quillions (perpendicular to the blade) and one
with quillions which are slanted forward, toward the tip of the blade.  They
claim that the former is patterned after a sword from around 1300, and the
latter from one circa 1520.

For what it's worth....

Alasdair mac Iain of ELderslie          Argent, a chevron cotised azure
Dun na Leomhainn Bhig                   surmounted by a sword and in chief
Barony of Marinus                       two mullets sable