Re: claymores

Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, James and/or Nancy Gilly wrote:

> Poster: James and/or Nancy Gilly <KatieMorag@worldnet.att.net>
>
> At 18:25 10-12-96 +0000, was written:
> >According to Stone, the two-handed Claymore is a 15th-16th century weapon.
> >The basket-hilted broadsword of the same name comes sometime later.
> >
> >Fin
>

> Just of curiosity (and because *The Glossary of the Construction,
> Decoration, and Use of Arms and Armour* is packed away in the attic
> somewhere) I checked my Museum Replicas Ltd catalogue.  They offer two
> claymores, one with straight quillions (perpendicular to the blade) and one
> with quillions which are slanted forward, toward the tip of the blade.  They
> claim that the former is patterned after a sword from around 1300, and the
> latter from one circa 1520.
>
> For what it's worth....
> Alasdair mac Iain of ELderslie          Argent, a chevron cotised azure

When I looked in my _Encyclopedia of Antiques_ (for similar reasons-- all
my other books are packed away), it said that claymores most commonly had
staright quillons, set at an angle towards the blade.
Perhaps the problem here is that some collectors, some museums, or some
cataloguers have different, or stricter definitions of "claymore."
Such as, if it has angled quillons, it's a claymore, but if they are
perpindicular, then it's just a big sword, etc.
Aye,
Eogan