MSoB Newsletter

Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>

Hello to all at Cheapside!
I have recently taken on the duties of publishing the newsletter for the
Militant Society of BArds, the Motley Crew.  I snail mailed out a letter
to all people who subscribed to the newsletter some time ago, but
unfortunately some folks moved and I don't have a new address, and some
folks who needed to get the letter were apparantly not on my little
list.  So, in a last-ditch effort to get word out to everyone who needs
to know, I'm re-posting the letter here.  Please send a copy to any MSoBs
you might know, as well as anyone you might think is interested in
subscribing to a bardic newsletter.  I apologize to any who may have
already recieved this.
***NOTE***
This is not an advertisement or a shameless plug!  I am in no way making
money off of this.  I'm just trying to reach everyone I need to.  The
Motley Crew is in no way whatsoever an official publication of the SCA.
What follows is the text of the letter I mailed out.  It specifies a
deadline of Dec. 20th for subscriptions, as I firts mailed it out around
Thanksgiving.  For those just recieving this, I will extend that
deadline.  The first issue will be out by 12th Night.  Just make sure I
get a check by then.

To all people on the MSoB roster (and anyone who may be interested in the
Militant Society of Bards):
	Hello!  It's me, Eogan, and I'll be your Chronicler for the
evening!  It's been a long time since we had a newsletter, folks, but
hopefully (with a little help from all of you) The Motley Crew will be up
and running again shortly.  As you may have guessed, I am the new
Chronicler for our favorite rag.  I'd like to get a new issue out as soon
as possible, and to do that, I need certain things from you, the
readers.  The first thing I would like to say, is SUBMIT!  (Wow, that was
fun!)  No, seriously, submit articles (not your will).  The more articles
I get from you guys, the more newsletters there will be, the more will be
in each newsletter, and the quality and diversity of articles will go
up.  Anything will do; song lyrics, poems, editorials, articles on things
bardic, techniques, period music, sources, ads, pictures, etc., etc., etc.
	The next thing I need from you is a subscription fee.  A free
newsletter is fun, folks, but there are a lot of people on the roster,
and I just don't have the expendable cash to mail everyone a newsletter
for free.  Right now, it costs about $2 an issue to produce (copying fees
and postage).  If I pay for that, it will cost me over $400 a year if I
publish it quarterly, $600 if I publish it every other month.  If you
each pay for your own newsletter, it will cost you $8 a year quarterly,
$12 a year every other month.  Right now, I am planning on doing a
quarterly newsletter, and am asking a subscription fee of $8 annually.
If things really pick up, and I get a lot of good submissions on a
regular basis, we may move to an every-other-month format.  But that is
in the future.  This is how it works right now;  if you want to remain on
the mailing list, and receive the first newsletter, I need to have a
subscription fee from you by Dec. 20th.  If you don't want to subscribe
to the newsletter, but would like to stay on the roster so other people
may contact you, that is fine, but you need to write me a letter by Dec.
20th telling me so.  If I do not hear from you by then, your name will go
off the mailing list.  If you want to subscribe, but just can't afford
the $8 (some of us can't), then talk to me personally.  We can work out a
way you can contribute without spending money (like committing to a
regular column in every issue, for instance).  But I need to hear from
you, to tell who is and who isn't interested.
	I plan on starting with a Winter issue, and ending the
subscriptions with the Fall issue.  If people decide they want to
subscribe after the Winter issue is out, they will only pay through
Fall.  This way, everyone renews at once.  I also plan on printing extra
copies of each issue to sell at my merchant area for $3 a piece, a month
or so after they get mailed out.  This way, people also have the option
of paying-per-issue  The extra profits will all go back into this
newsletter.  If anyone else is interested in selling old copies of The
Motley Crew at their merchanting areas, let me know, and also let me know
how many copies you want to order ahead of time.
	I have a feeling this newsletter can be enjoyable and educational
if everyone chips in to make it what they want it to be.  Please, let me
hear from you soon, and everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
A' the best,
Aye,
Eogan
c/o Matt Newsome