Re: Translation Anyone?

Poster: E L Wimett <SILVERDRAGON@Charleston.Net>

Angela Pincha-Neel - ASCC wrote:

> The days of the week are alphabetical... A thru g.
> I do not know what the Roman numeral to the side means...

Your problem is partly that the scribe has used standard abbreviations
in the text.  This is extremely common in all manuscripts in period and
particularly in "standard" liturgical documents.  You may note the marks
over several of the words in the original manuscript.  These clearly mark
the words as abbreviated much as apostrophes mark letters dropped out
today.

In this particular manuscript, I am not certain what the marginal numbers
represent.  Sometimes they are numbers for the Roman calendar, sometimes
crossreferences to the appropriate services for the feast, etc.

It is also notable that a number of those commemorated are not on their
"usual" feast days.  For instance, Firminus the martyr usually has his
feast in September

Below I give the transcription (with filler letters in square brackets if
necessary] and a translation, line by line:

Ianuarius habet dies XXXI luna XXX.
January has 31 days, the moon 30.

A   Circu[m]ci[sionis] d[omi]ni
A   [Feast] of the Circumcision of the Lord

B   Oct. S. Stepha[ni]
B   Octave of Saint Stephan

C   Oct. S. Ioa[n]nis
C   Octave of Saint John

D   Octa. Innoce[ntium]
D   Octave of the [Holy] Innocents

E   Thelesphori
E   Thelesphori
    (I am not sure about this one: it looks as if it is paralleling some
of the old Greek feasts which is possible in a manuscript this late.)

F   Epiphania
F   Epiphany

G   Iuliani m[arty]ris
G   [Feast] of Julian martyr

A   Severini epi[scopi]
A   [Feast] of Severinus bishop

B   Martian[a]e m[arty]r[is]
B   [Feast] of Martiana martyr

C   Pauli eremit[a]e
C   [Feast] of Paul hermit

D   Igini pap[a]e
D   [Feast] of Iginius pope

E   Satyri m[arty]ris
E   [Feast] of Satyrus martyr

F   Firmini m[arty]ris
F   [Feast] of Firminus martyr

G   Felicis i[n] pincis
G   [Feast] of Felix in Pincius (a mount at Rome)
    This is St. Felix of Nola

A   Mauri abbatis
A   [Feast] of Maurus abbot

B   Marcelli pap[a]e