RE: On the subject of Fealty

Poster: "Sussman, Jeff" <JSussman@sss.niaid.nih.gov>

Greetings from Richard Fitzgilbert!

When I describe the role of fealty in the SCA to newcomers, I describe it
as "fealty light."

Take any one period fealty oath, take out everything having to do with
wealth or money and you have a starting point for an SCA fealty oath.
 This includes dowries, taxes, and opt-out payments (instead of some
service pay X instead).

Then, take out anything that describes very specific services or
open-ended contributions.  Specific durations for military service and
the like.

Optionally (but common), take out everything that might refer to anything
associated to a religion.  The only one I know of in this category is the
crusades clause in some oaths.  Of course, this could be considered a
monetary contribution as well!

My SCA fealth oath: (first and second parts always, third part optional).

Primus, I swear to serve the Kingdom of Atlantia to the best of my
ability.
Secondus, I swear to serve the Crowns of Atlantia to the best of my
ability.
Tertius, I swear to serve the King and Queen of Atlantia to the best of
my ability.
(pardon my pidgin latin).

> The answer to your question is "no conflict is there, unless when he
swore
> to the Crown he set up a conflict.

Two times, I've had squires become barons.  The first time we didn't
change anything.  The second time I let the squire put aside the belt.  I
still considered him a student and a part of my household but there was
no oath between us.  Both ways worked.  I'd suggest the latter.  Barons
and Baronesses can do their job best when there is no hint of an
appearance of impartiality.

Richard