Re: Displaying heraldry

Poster: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy@abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>

  > To the best of my knowledge, is it just fine to display arms, whether you
  > have an AoA or not.

  Actually, that's precisely the distinction.  Anyone can display a
  *device*, that device only becomes *arms* when they are given by the
  Crown (by Award, Grant or Patent).

Keilyn, this "distinction" is something the Society made up just for fun.
Therefore, I tend to deprecate mentioning it.  Just as I point out that in
period, there is no such distinction as Award, Grant or Patent...

My personal bully pulpit is period heraldry, whenever possible.  Other folks
may have differing agendas.

Sigh.  I cannot resist.  In period, a person born into the higher ranks
could (and did) use heraldry, and display heraldry, regardless of whether
the Crown had ever even heard of the person.  And, at least that much of the
period we still do today in the Society.  Fly 'em, use 'em and be proud.

	Tibor (AWARD of a GRANT of Arms by letters PATENT, darn it. :-)