weaving baby wolves

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

Rise wrote:
>>More seriously, why in the world would they call a loom a "baby wolf"?  Is
>>it a brand name, or does it have something to do with the connection between
>>wolves and sheep?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Byrn responded
>One suspects that "wolf" should probably be woof, as in warp and woof.  I
>would visualise that a baby woof loom would have a very narrow weaving
>dimension, producing fabric perhaps broader than inkle or tablet looms but
>much more narrow than a lap or floor loom.  But I'm just guessing.

Wolf is a brand name of the Schacht Company.  They sell baby wolves and mighty
wolves.  Baby wolves retail for anywhere from $850 to $1200, depending on the
number of harnesses and treadles.  Mighty wolves go for $1200 to $1650.

The baby wolf is a 28 inch 4 or 8 harness folding loom.

Don't ask me why Schacht calles them wolves.

        - Anarra (reading from my Earth Guild catalogue)