Re: Grammar

Poster: mn13189@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Tom Rettie wrote:

> At 01:24 PM 3/17/97 -0600, Craig Levin wrote:
>
> >The other dialects, such as Scots, survived as best they could as
> >second-raters compared to the London dialect-look at how
>
> One clarification I would add, Scots Gaelic is not a dialect of English --
> it is a member of the Goidelic family of languages (Scots and Irish Gaelic,
> Manx) and has entirely different roots.  I assume you were referring to
> Findlaech mac Alasdair

When refferring to "Scots" the most common meaning is that of the Scots
dialect, spoken in the Lowlands of Scotland.  The Scots dialect is of
particular interest to medievalists because it retains so much of the
Middle English quality and even Old English quality that modern English
lacks. This is partly because when the Normans came over to England in the
11th century, many of the English speaking noblitiy fled to the north in
lower Scotland.
Modern Scots still pronounce house "hoose" and mouse "moose" as they did
in ME, and the pronouns "wha" amd "wham" are holdovers from northern
dialects of ME as well.  These are just a couple of examples.  The Guid
Scots tongue has been in existance for hundreds of years, and has as its
influences English, Gaelic, and Norse.
I'm sure this is the language being referred to, not Gaelic. (A whole
other can o' worms).
Aye,
Eogan